Building safe, age-friendly communities across Ward 12.
- Improve the safety of our streets: read my crime and safety plan here
- Seniors Protection and Advocacy Task Force: put mechanisms in place to protect seniors from elder abuse, fraud, theft and other threats
- Protect the financial security for seniors in subsidized housing: reduce the percentage that can be taken for Rent-Geared-to-Income after they turn 65
- Tax relief homeowners: expand the Low Income Seniors and Disabled Persons Tax Deferral Program to allow more people to defer paying taxes
- Push for free transportation for seniors, everyday outside rush hour and weekends
- Reduce isolation: partner with community centres to develop socializing opportunities
- Improve access to internet in nursing homes: provide tablets to help seniors access online resources and communicate with family
- Empower seniors: help them develop positive initiatives for their communities by connecting them to available funding
- Nutritional programs and food security: expand access to fresh food for seniors
- Work with businesses to establish senior-friendly shopping areas
- Identify and repair trip hazards across the ward
- Regular seniors town hall meetings to hear concerns and address issues
- More housing units that address the affordable housing and accessibility needs of seniors. See my plan for housing here.
- Ensure better emergency housing options for seniors in times of crisis
- Expand options for bilingual seniors homes
- Work to create an LGBT+ friendly seniors home: a safe place to age in dignity
There’s a lot at stake this election. The choice we make on October 22 will determine our future. Join us. Together, we will bring change to City Hall. Sign up to receive updates, volunteer or donate today.